It's Rex Manning Day here at the OST Party, so this week we're joined by Johnny-5 from the Christmas Creeps podcast to discuss the soundtrack to Empire Records! In the grand tradition of 90s hangout comedies like Clerks and Dazed and Confused, this film chronicles a day in the life of a record store full of hormonal teens. Whether you love it or not entirely depends on if you saw this film as a hormonal teen...
This album comes from that moment in time when grunge was on the decline and a whole truckload of college rock and jangle pop acts swooped in to fill the void. Our much-discussed Gin Blossoms finally make an appearance on the show! We also get tracks from Edwyn Collins, The Cranberries, Better Than Ezra, Toad The Wet Sprocket, and more!
- Empire Records is available to stream here
- The The Suicide Squad trailer
- GWAR covering "Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car"
- INTRO: "Dance Rocket" by Jesse Spillane
- OUTRO: "Say No More, Mon Amour" by Rex Manning
- Gin Blossoms, "Til I Hear It From You"
- Edwyn Collins, "A Girl Like You"
- Ape Hangers, "I Don't Want To Live Today"