This week we dive into David Byrne's 1986 slice-of-life film True Stories! While on tour with Talking Heads and Stop Making Sense, Byrne concocted a feature film about a town where all sorts of tabloid headlines came true. It's silly, it's strange, and it's beautiful in its own way. There's truly nothing like it.
As for the album itself, Talking Heads deliver a handful of classic tunes, but we also get some wonderful instrumental pieces, as well as performances from John Goodman, Annie McEnroe, Tito Larriva, and more! And along the way, we find ourselves discussing the Church of the SubGenius, hijacking TouchTunes jukeboxes, and the never-ending march of progress.
So hop in your privately owned red convertible and join us on this wild, wild ride through the mind of David Byrne!
- True Stories is available to stream here
- You can find "The Complete Soundtrack" on Spotify here
- Libby reviews the True Stories soundtrack for Paste Magazine
- The Interplanetary Rapper
- INTRO: "Dance Rocket" by Jesse Spillane
- OUTRO: "I Heart Metal Buildings" by David Byrne