A new year brings a new series here on the OST Party! This week's film, the 1999 sci-fi rom-com Blast from the Past, marks the finale of our neo-swing trilogy, and also the beginning of our series on the films of Brendan Fraser.
Blast from the Past, as Libby's husband Ian pointed out, is like if you crossed Encino Man with The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. And the soundtrack reflects that weird clash of tones. You've got the square 60s tunes of Perry Como, the neo-swing revival of The Cherry Poppin' Daddies and Squirrel Nut Zippers, and modern 90s rock in acts like Everclear, Dishwalla and Sonichrome.
The whole thing is a fascinating time capsule of where we were in the late-90s, and how that era is well and truly behind us. Time marches on, and so do we!
SHOW NOTES FOR THIS EPISODE:
- Blast From The Past is available to stream here
- For more thoughts on R.E.M., check out our episode on Tommy Boy
- INTRO/OUTRO: "Dance Rocket" by Jesse Spillane
- "I Will Buy You A New Life" by Everclear
- "It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by R.E.M.
- "I See The Sun" by Tommy Henriksen
- "Mr. Zoot Suit" by Ingrid Lucia and the Flying Neutrinos
Have a soundtrack you'd like us to cover?
Follow us on Twitter @OSTParty and let us know!
Or email us at OSTPartyPod@gmail.com
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.